Thursday 1 August 2013

My First Day at Training !! Monday 29th July 2013

It’s the second day of my apprenticeship and it’s one of the requirements for us to make a blog! Well, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a blog, it could be a video clip or….(thinks hard) …(gives up). Basically, just something that provides evidence that I’ve been learning about stuff! But not just any old stuff, the important stuff for example: health and safety, equality and diversity, time management, the industry, my career path and many other things that I’m soon going to learn… Hooray!

This blog will be a document that I will be continuously updating throughout my whole apprenticeship. It’ll be a record of my entire journey from day 1 to day ‘whenever I finish’ of the events that occurred on the day, what I have learnt, done and achieved.

J

Now let us all go back in time!

29/07/2013 1st Day of my Apprenticeship
Righty O, I’m writing this a day after the day has actually happened so… WARNING:  events recorded for today may not be as detailed and clear due to my little hippocampus, so apologies for that. However, I’m sure who ever is going to read this (aka You! Yes, you right there) who will continue to read this will get the general jist of what happened today (or yesterday to be exact!) J

I was the earliest to arrive so I had first dibs on any computer plus the chair that comes free with it, so I was happy and thus optimistic of the following events that would occur that day. We did the boring paper stuff first and got that done and out the way, then followed the typical introduce your partner game in which beside me seated Oliver.  Luckily, I had met and spoken to him already in the reception earlier, thus we were already acquainted with each other; so talking to him was easy and it allowed me to get to know him better which was cool. These were the actual things I had written down of what I had learnt about Oliver:

-Ollie, 16 and left school
-Joker in the group
-Essex
-Football (West Ham)

We  then had to report back to the entire group about what we had learnt about the other person, thus it allowed the entire group to get to know each other better and familiarise ourselves with the new names and new faces. The people in my group are really friendly and great to get along with, we were all around the same age range so the fact that we were all going in the same direction with our apprenticeships was awesome; this meant that we could easily relate to one another. There are a total of 9 of us, a small yet varied pack of people, just like a multipack of crisps!

The main topic for that day was learning more about the industry and our career paths. As my apprenticeship revolves around Digital Marketing, I had to search online of the jobs that were available for me which consisted of many things such as: Social Media executive, digital marketing manager, SEO manager and etc. We then as a group discussed more about our chosen paths and the things we needed to do to become successful, for example: what we would all hopefully achieve and get out from our apprenticeships and how it would benefit us in the future, as well as learning about how we all will gain a new set of skills through out our apprenticeship and mature as employees.

After our discussion, it made me realise the pros of being a part of Arch and how they have provided me with so much support, resulting me becoming more comfortable and confident to pursue an apprenticeship. I’m very happy with my choice of choosing to do an apprenticeship in my gap year before heading to Uni. I’m certain that this opportunity will enable me to grow and mature as a young working employee from a student, improve my skills and qualities and overall help me become the best version of myself possible.
The only thing I remember from that day after our extremely long discussion and presentation from Waleed, my trainer, about the industry and how it works was the last activity we did before the entire day was finished. The game was to decide between you and your partner on the 10 items you would take with you if you had to live on a deserted island!!!! A fun game to end a very long day! Haha xD My partner, Munpreet, and I thought realistically and logically, no silly business and thought hard about our 10 items we would take on our adventure. These were the items we agreed upon:

1. rope
2. chickens
3. cows
4. axe
5. horse
6. medicine
7. pigs
8. shelter/tent
9. seeds
10.containers

After that we were all free to go and sleepily make our way back home! Home sweet home!

Woohoo~

Day 1 was overall great, the people are great, my tutor is great and the presentations were also great…they were quite long, very long actually and it definitely did not make me nod off at all. However, they were no doubt very informative though and have taught me more in depth about the industry and what I could be potentially working towards to! Sadly my body and mind has yet to adapt to the gruelling hours from 9 to 5, but I’m sure I’ll get use to it sooner or later !!

J






No comments:

Post a Comment